MQM holds protests as two more bodies recovered

KARACHI: Two trussed-up bodies of missing Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) workers were recovered near Korangi Creek in Karachi’s Qayyumabad area on Friday.

The workers, identified as Mohammad Ali and Syed Kashif Bukhari alias Qasim Ali, belonged to the city’s Orangi Town area.

They were shifted to Jinnah Hospital where a large number of MQM leaders and workers had gathered.

Leader of the Opposition in the Sindh Assembly and MQM leader Faisal Sabzwari identified the deceased persons as the party’s workers and said they had been missing for four months.

Activists and supporters of the MQM were holding protests against the ‘enforced disappearances and extra-judicial killings of its party workers.

Holding demonstrations outside the Peshawar Press Club, the protesters moreover demanded Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani to take a suo motu notice on the issue of missing MQM workers.

MQM demonstrators were also holding protests in Karachi and other cities in large numbers. The families of the missing or deceased MQM workers also partook in the demonstrations.

Earlier on Thursday, activists and supporters of the MQM had also protested in Karachi against the ‘enforced disappearances and extra-judicial killings of its party workers.

They had claimed that personnel of the law-enforcement agencies in plain clothes had been picking up MQM workers and subjecting them to brutal torture. In some cases, they added, the perpetrators killed their workers and dumped their bodies on the outskirts of the city.

April 18, 2014 Posted Under: SMS Collection   Read More

Avalanche on Everest kills 12, three missing

m eve

KATMANDU: An avalanche swept down a climbing route on Mount Everest early Friday, killing at least 12 Nepalese guides and leaving three missing in the deadliest disaster on the world’s highest peak.

The Sherpa guides had gone early in the morning to fix ropes for other climbers when the avalanche hit just them below Camp 2 at about 6:30 am, Nepal Tourism Ministry official Krishna Lamsal said from the base camp where he is monitoring rescue efforts.

Rescue workers pulled out 12 bodies from under mounds of snow and ice and were searching for the three missing guides, Lamsal said.

Two Sherpas who were injured were taken by helicopter to hospitals in Nepal’s capital, Katmandu.

Hundreds of climbers, their guides and support crews have gathered at the base camp to prepare for attempts to scale the 8,850-meter mountain early next month when weather conditions become favorable.

They have been setting up camps at higher altitudes and guides have been fixing routes and ropes on the slopes above.

As soon as the avalanche hit, rescuers and fellow climbers rushed to help.

Ang Tshering of the Nepal Mountaineering Association said the area where the avalanche hit is nicknamed the ”popcorn field” and is just below Camp 2 at 6,400 meters.

Earlier this year, Nepal announced several steps to better manage the heavy flow of climbers and speed up rescue operations.

The steps included the dispatch of officials and security personnel to the base camp at 5,300 meters, where they will stay throughout the spring climbing season that ends in May.

More than 4,000 climbers have scaled the summit since 1953, when it was first conquered by New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay.

Hundreds have died attempting to reach the peak.

The worst recorded disaster on Everest had been a snowstorm on May 11, 1996, that caused the deaths of eight climbers.

Six Nepalese guides were killed in an avalanche in 1970.

April 18, 2014 Posted Under: Google News   Read More

One security man killed, two injured in attack near Peshawar

killed

PESHAWAR: A security man was killed and two others were injured Friday as militants attacked a security forces’ vehicle on Frontier road on the outskirts of Peshawar.

 

The Deputy Superintendent of Police Fazle Wahid said that the convoy was attacked on Frontier road near Aziz Market.

The Station House Officer of Badbher Garanullah said the security forces’ convoy was attacked near Aziz Market and reportedly one security man was killed and two others were injured.

Militants attacked them with heavy and light weapons.

Security men cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.

The area has been under curfew for the last four days.

The military is yet to issue any official confirmation about the death of the soldier and the injured.

Separately, a series of explosions took place early morning in the weapons depot of the Frontier Corps’ Khyber Rifles in the Khyber tribal region.

The depot is located in a fort in Khyber’s Landi Kotal area and the explosions took place there at about 1 am and later at 4 am.

Area residents heard the several explosions with some locals saying that they had seen flames rising high from the fort.

The depot was completely burnt as a result with the fire still raging through the fort at the time of the filing of this report. No casualties have so far been reported.

There appears to confusion regarding the nature of the attack with some security sources saying that the incident was an attack launched by unknown militants and others attributing it to have been caused by an electric short circuit.

The incident came a day after the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) refused to extend the ceasefire that had lasted for 40 days.

No militant group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far which might have been an attack.

 

April 18, 2014 Posted Under: News update   Read More

Pak court rejects Musharraf’s petition challenging prosecutor’s appointment

A special court in Pakistan has rejected former president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf’s application challenging the appointment of Akram Sheikh as head of the prosecution team.

Registrar Abdul Ghani, while announcing the court’s decision on the petition, declared it inadmissible for hearing and then rejected it.

In its decision, the special court, which is hearing the high treason case against Musharraf, said the Islamabad High Court’s verdict on Dec 23, 2013 had declared the prosecutor’s appointment notification as valid, Dawn News reports.

Musharraf’s counsel Anwar Mansoor Khan had alleged that Sheikh had expressed his desire to prosecute the former military ruler under Article 6 of the Constitution even before the filing of the treason case by the government and his appointment as chief prosecutor, the report said.

Mansoor had also challenged the appointment of Sheikh in the IHC on Dec 23 amongst two other petitions, stating that it was not legitimate.

The court had subsequently rejected his application.

April 18, 2014 Posted Under: News update   Read More