Archive for November, 2012

Gaza death toll passes 100

GAZA CITY: Israeli strikes killed 32 Palestinians on Monday, taking the Gaza death toll to 109 as UN chief Ban Ki-moon joined efforts to end the worst violence in four years and Israel’s inner circle of ministers mulled their next move.

As the violence raged for a sixth day, an Israeli missile killed a senior Islamic Jihad man in a Gaza City tower housing Palestinian and international media, the second time in as many days it has been targeted.

With Ban in Cairo pushing for a ceasefire, Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal said his movement was committed to efforts to secure a truce, but insisted that Israel must lift its six-year blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Terrified and desperate, many Gaza families have fled their homes, some seeking haven in the south which has seen fewer strikes. But they know nowhere is safe.

“My son Mohammed refuses to eat. He follows me everywhere because he’s so scared and asks me every 10 minutes when we’re going to die,” said Umm Jihad, 37.

Mourners flocked to the funeral of nine members of one family killed in a weekend strike on a Gaza City home, the tiny bodies of the five children carried through the streets wrapped in Palestinian flags.

As the overall death toll in Gaza hit 109, with another 32 people killed on Monday making it the bloodiest day so far, the Israeli army said that 42 rockets had struck Israel and another 19 had been intercepted by the Iron Dome defence system.

To date, the military has struck more than 1,350 targets in Gaza, and 640 rockets have hit southern Israel while another 324 have been intercepted.

The violence, coming ahead of an Israeli general election on January 22, raised the spectre of a broader Israeli military campaign like its 22-day Operation Cast Lead, launched at the end of December 2008.

Analysts say the Israeli leadership appears satisfied with the success of Operation Pillar of Defence and that it could be ready for a ceasefire. But the Jewish state has also signalled a readiness to expand the operation.

Ministers in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s inner circle — the Forum of Nine — were reportedly in talks over whether to agree to a ceasefire or expand the air campaign into a wider ground operation.

Israeli public radio said the meeting late Monday would touch on an Egyptian ceasefire proposal that emerged following a full day of indirect negotiations in Cairo between Israeli officials and Palestinian representatives.

The report said Israel wanted to see a 24- to 48-hour truce take effect that could then be used to negotiate the finer details of a full ceasefire.

There was no immediate indication on whether a firm decision on Egypt’s proposal would emerge from Monday’s meeting as it stretched past midnight and the three-hour mark.

One Israeli television channel however suggested Netanyahu was inclined to accept the plan.

All the signs point to preparations for a ground operation, with the army sealing all roads around Gaza and some 40,000 reservists reportedly massed along the border, awaiting orders from the political echelon.

Dan Harel, former deputy chief of the Israeli military, said there was a maximum of 48 hours for Egyptian-led truce efforts to bear fruit or the troops would have to go in.

“There are two basic alternatives,” he told journalists in a Monday evening conference call.

“One is an agreement, cooked in Cairo, and the other is escalating the situation and moving forward into the Gaza Strip with a land effort, which is going to be bad for both sides,” he said in English. “We are about 24 to 48 hours from this junction.”

The latest negotiations aimed at ending the conflict, conducted behind closed doors in Cairo, ended without agreement. But all sides have expressed a willingness to engage in more talks.

The UN chief flew to Egypt “to add his diplomatic weight to these efforts, which are considerable and extremely important,” his spokesman Martin Nesirky said.

As Russia accused the United States of seeking to “filibuster” a UN Security Council statement on Gaza amid prolonged talks by the 15-nation body, Ban was to meet Egypt’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Kamel Amr, and President Mohamed Morsi and Arab League chief Nabil al-Arabi on Tuesday, Nesirky said.

He will then go to Jerusalem to see Israeli leaders but has no plan to go to Gaza.

The League’s Arabi is due in Gaza on Tuesday, accompanied by Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu and several Arab top diplomats, in the latest in a series of visits that have eased the long diplomatic isolation of the territory’s Hamas rulers.

Hamas is also understood to be seeking guarantees Israel will stop its targeted killings, like the one which killed a top military commander on Wednesday, sparking the current hostilities.

Israel has its own demands, with Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman insisting “the first and absolute condition for a truce is stopping all fire from Gaza.”

November 20, 2012 Posted Under: News update   Read More

CJ SHC undoes bike-riding ban in Karachi

KARACHI: Chief Justice Sindh High Court has dismissed Interior Minister Rehman Malik’s orders regarding a ban on motorcycle riding in Karachi, issuing notices to IG Sindh, Home Secretary and Advocate General Sindh.

SHC Chief Justice Justice Mushir Alam has ordered the IG, AG and Home Secretary to appear before the court On Friday morning.

The SHC orders came after the CJ received a written application against Malik’s announcement of ban on motorcycle riding. The application was submitted by President Sindh Hight Court Bar Association.

Earlier, citing security reasons, the government not only banned riding motorcycles but also decided to suspend cellular services in Karachi and Quetta for Friday.

Interior Minister, Rehman Malik, talking to media here, announced that motorbikes would not be allowed to come on the roads from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM on Friday.

He also added that no one would be exempt from this ban.

Malik said that his ministry had received information that motorcycles would be used in terrorist attacks at public places.

“The decision to keep the bikers off the road has come on the heels of intelligence reports reports that terrorists are hatching plans to carry out attacks using motorcycles” Malik said.

The interior minister added that displaying weapons would also be strictly prohibited in Karachi.

It is pertinent to mention that there are at least 1.4 million registered motorcycles in Karachi and about 0.12 million in Quetta.

Malik said that the mobile phone services would also remain suspended in both the cities from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Moreover, markets in the said cities have also been directed to conduct business only from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Friday.

“No market in both the cities will be allowed to open before 10:00 AM and after 5:00 PM” , said he.

Rejecting this outrageous ban different trade bodies raised voice against it, urging relaxation as businesses were already down in the dumps.

November 15, 2012 Posted Under: News update   Read More